Followers

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

If you all read my last post, you know that Bobby died on Christmas. I finally got to talk to Mary yesterday. She told me seeing her brother die in front of her was a life changing experience. I simply could not imagine what that must feel like. As a doctor, I have seen plenty of people die, but they were not family and it seems that I had this wall up regarding death. I am not sure they even taught that in medical school. Maybe it is a learned behavior. Not so anymore. I am not sure what the defining moment was for me, but I sure look at death differently now. Death to me is a constant reminder of the wonder and value of life and it teaches us just how precious this life truly is. I can’t tell you how many people I have spoken with over the years who wished they had only told that special person in their life that they loved them before they died. Sure, the deceased knew it but there is nothing quite like hearing those three precious words. Imagine my friend, Mary, huddled over her brother with her mom and nephew, telling Bob how much they loved him. Wow, what a feeling for Bob!

So my mission for you today is this: If there is someone in your life that you love and appreciate, and for whatever reason have not told them, make today the day you end your silence. Show your heart and make their day. Tell them you love them, and you will free yourself and maybe even them in ways you can’t even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment