Followers

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

SHHH -- It's Wabbit Season and I am Hunting Wabbit. Look Wabbit tracks! "Hewwo, Woscoey Wabbit", are you there?

I planted three baby burning bushes three years ago..........and each spring I notice they are still "babies!" Hmmmm, what in the heck is going on? I went out to walk my lovebugs last weekend and I was horrified to find that something was eating my bushes! Whole branches were gone. It looked as though someone decided to take it upon themselves to prune my bush. But the remains were gone....branches and all. Some of the branches were still pathetically hanging off the bush. All that was left were my Christmas lights. Ugghh! I don't have a fenced in back yard, but I have not seen any deer...so no deer. I occasionally see a rabbit or two in my yard. Never squirrels (but that doesn't mean they don't exist). So......rabbits and squirrels?

And, here is what I found out from the guy at Menards........Squirrels do not eat these plants, but both rabbits and deer will. The tooth marks of both the rabits and deer will be similar. He told me that the most effective means of control is a good, tight fence that will prevent those buggers from getting near enough to eat the vegetation.

So, I bought the poultry fence he told me to get, but honestly, "Be vewy vewy quiet, I am still hunting wabbits" I have been following "wabbit twacks" through my backyard....fortunately, all my newly planted shrubs are under snow. The problem lies ahead when the snow melts exposing my delicate baby plants. So, I say to all wabbits near and far, I'm sowwy, Mr. Wabbit. I hope I didn't hurt you too much when I killed you!"

8 comments:

  1. You crack me up! Try using blood meal...it stinks and will keep them away but will wash away in the rain. Living in the country I too have had the same problems with deer, rabbit and whatever other little aminals are eating my plants! I planted a garden one year and had to resort to putting cyote pee on cotton balls in little containers on stakes all around my garded. Yuck! Whatever works right? Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alrighty then......good advice my friend. Let me see how the poultry fence works first!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the same problem with DEER and all our lovely trees! The problem this year is that the winter has been so hard, the outdoor critters are starving. POOR THINGS! So what did my husband (the hunter) do? We went to buy corn to feed the deer so they will leave our shrubs and trees alone - the only bad thing is I'm sure they are telling all their friends to come to the Perry house for diner! I even say a pretty little female watching me while I was on the treadmill this morning. I hope she enjoyed her breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm, multiple wascoey varmints are out there eating our gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All you really need is Kendal's cat Chloe. She wuvs hunting wabbits. My yard is wabbit and sqwinny fwee! Not a cat person? No worries, Kendal will simply loan her to you for a few days...Course your dogs might not appreciate her....

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cat? I don't know. A cat? Seriously? Does Chloe shed? We have a strict policy around here...no debris or hair on the hardwood floors. That goes for me too! On the other hand, could Chloe simply stay outside?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ABSOLUTELY! Of course we'll have to wait till it warms up. One of our cats went missing right before we left for Cabo and was outside for 11 days! We thought he was a gonner, but he showed up the night we got home! Ears were frost bit, but I think it just gives him more character...

    ReplyDelete