Followers

Thursday, August 20, 2009

How about that thunderstorm we had last night? I awoke at 22:22 with the sound of a large sonic boom...at least that is what it sounded like. That was thunder, no doubt. Wow, I thought I was in a hurricane. The wind was blowing, the rain was hitting the side of the house, and the lightening.........wow, the lightening was an amazing show of fireworks. The lady that works the front desk at night for DoctorsNow always gives me flack about my yard..........she tells me the lightening makes my yard greener than any fertilizer. Well, ok, she is right, but I am NOT going to tell her she is right!! :)

From a scientific description, lightning refers to one of the several forms of visible electrical discharges produced by thunderstorms. It is essentially a giant spark that jumps between vast pools of positive and negative electrical charge that form inside thunderstomrs. And what is a thunder??? Thunder is the sound emitted as a result of the rapidly expanding gases along the heated lightning channel.

Sounds pretty complicated, eh? It's not my intention to complicate nature, but I think it is fun to know how far a storm is from where you are located. Yes, you can use thunder to tell how far away a storm is. Next time you see a storm, count the number of seconds between when you see the lightning and hear the thunder. Take the number of seconds and divide by 5 and that will tell you how far away the storm is in miles. For example: If you counted 10 seconds between the lightning and the thunder, the lightning is 2 miles away! I counted less than 5 seconds last night so that must mean the storm was over my house and my lawn is bright green!!! yahoo!

1 comment: