Followers

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hey there! As many of you know, I recently competed in the Team Universe a couple of weeks ago. Without going into all the details, lets just say I felt and looked good. I will post pictures in the gallery very soon.

Many of my friends ask me, "What are you planning for next?" "When is your next show?" Tough questions to answer right after a very difficult 4 months of training diligently with weights, long cardio sessions, and deprivation of many foods (ice cream and cookies!). But seriously, training for anything takes a lot of thought and one does not simply jump into it without planning. I must admit, I am not sure I put everything I had into my most recent performance

You might think that I was born with brain and muscle and only a few touch-ups here and there got me to high ranking positions. Despite numerous stories of child prodigies (by the way, I am not one of them!), the hard evidence shows that genius and elite athleticism is more made, than born. Studies of elite physical and mental performance confirm what is termed “the Decade Rule”. You have to put in a decade at the very least of the right focused work to even approach mastery in any field. And you have to want to do it. I have been competing for 12 years and my schooling lasted even longer to obtain my DO degree. It does help a little, but only a little, however, if you are born with great talent. In fact, success seems to be only marginally related to talent. The data indicate that the best way to make most Olympic teams is to begin to practice the sport relentlessly - shortly after birth. Notice, I mentioned "Olympic" team. I know most people do not aspire to become Olympians, but I am simply making a point that it is practice, practice, practice that makes an endeavor successful.

The same is true for Tiger Woods. He seems magical on the golf course, but was swinging a golf club before he could walk. He got the best instruction and practiced constantly from infanthood. Even today, he outworks most of his rivals. As you can see, becoming a success in any sport, and genius in science, music, and art are all built from a lot of hard work in that particular speciality . They are never born.

It has been said, that the people who have trained, both in sport and in science, who have become elite, work hard every day, year in, year out. They rarely excuse and they rarely complain.

So, to end a long story short, I have to contemplate heavily on my next move. Once the decision is made.........I will take the steps necessary to succeed. To those of you on the fence about a decision to move up the ladder of success, remember, success takes hard work, devotion, and practice, practice, practice!

Train Hard and Smart!

Your IronLadyDoc

1 comment:

  1. Malea,

    Way to go on you Comp!! Congratulations! Can't wait to see you in the gym again!

    ReplyDelete